Noah Eckersley-Ray


This week for lab we went to the quarry. We started out in the classroom and discussed site survey and where we wanted to conduct a site survey. We agreed to go to the quarry thinking that it would be more interesting and at least a new place for us to go. Having made our decision we walked from the classroom to the quarry site which was just past the Waterford Mill site. We trekked through the woods to the site of the quarry and discussed what our plan would be for the site survey. We split up into different jobs. One small group went out to draw a map and get a better sense of the surrounding area. The rest of us set up our survey areas using a compass and tape measures. With the survey area set with five meter by five meter squares we started surveying. we were only able to complete surveys in three of the squares and start the fourth before it was time to head back to the classroom.


This week we practiced field walking and survey in the upper arb. We met in the archaeology lab in Anderson Hall and it was our first time as an entire lab group meeting in the classroom which was exciting. Alex went over some survey basics and showed us different artifacts collected through surveys both by previous classes and from other sources. We then prepared to head out to the arb by getting bags passed around and clipboards to those who needed them. At this time we looked outside to see that it was snowing. The snow made for a pleasant walk out to the location but after that it was just annoying and cold. Once we got out into our chosen field we practiced pacing in order to be able to know how far ten meters is. The we started our survey. In my transect I found a lot of brick and cement and one metal bottle cap. At the end of the first section we consolidated, bagged, and made notes of everything that we found. Neither of the next two sections turned anything up for our group. After we had finished our survey we walked back to the classroom and got everything sorted. Once that was done we went our separate ways.


I thought that the trek through the arb was a lot of fun. It was a far walk and very hot but the sites were really interesting. I found the mill site and the man made path leading to it to be really interesting. The mill site was the first site that we visited after meeting at the arb office. As we made our way to the mill site it was great to notice the grass turning green and buds on the trees signaling that Spring had truly arrived. At the mill site we learned a bit more about how the previous class had done their class project there. The next site we went to was the bridge way out on the farthest edge of the arb. The fact that the bridge had actually been used for cars was baffling. Next we walked down the road to the Women’s League cabin. The walk on the road was probably the least pleasant part of our lab just because compared to walking in the arb the side of the road is not very interesting. We were all pretty well aware of the history of the Women’s League cabin from previous class discussions and after a quick review we walked to the actual spot of the cabin past a guy just sitting and staring into the distance which was a bit odd. Next we ventured back onto the road and headed to the upper arb where we took a rest and chatted about surveying methods. Then we walked to the location of the post WWII veterans village. After that some of us went to the lab and looked at the artifacts collected at these locations by other methods classes.