Hannah Rosenberg

On Tuesday, 4/7, we left the Arb office around 2 pm to start our walk to the different sites. After crossing the road, we hiked along a clear path through the woods that eventually led us to where the mill used to be. We stood along the river and could where the dam had been as well as a chair in the middle of the water. We discussed a little bit of the mill’s history before being torn down, and then we retraced our steps back down the path. We continued on to the next site, walking through the woods until we made it out onto the road where we could see the bridge. Although we weren’t able to actually go up to the bridge we still looked from a distance and very briefly discussed it. After that, we followed the road for awhile until we came to the grassy area that led us to the path to the cabin. Along the path, we saw a man just chilling under a tree, and at the end of the path were a pile of rocks and some structural remains from the cabin. We talked about its use and history and then continued on to our next stop. We walked back out along a road, then walked through the grass next to the road. Eventually, we made it to a field that a previous archaeology class had surveyed. We kept heading back towards Carleton until we reached the site behind Goodhue where we learned about the old WWII veterans housing. Lastly, a small group of us stayed with the MJ to make a trip to the archaeology lab in Anderson, where we saw artifacts and learned a little bit about the process of tagging and labelling them.

On Tuesday, 4/13, for lab, we started out in the Anderson classroom, discussing different survey tools. We also looked at the difference between a Google Maps image and a LiDAR image of the field to see what features were visible on which version. Then, MJ passed out different equipment, including notebooks, bags, clipboards with maps and survey unit forms, and clickers (which we didn’t end up using). Once everyone was ready and packed up, we headed outside to walk to the field which was just a little past the rec center. It was pretty cold and snowy. Once we got to the field, two 20 meter lines were set up so that we could figure out how many paces are 10 meters. After measuring a couple of times, we split into two groups. I was in group A, which surveyed the area that covered where we knew there was once a building. After the six of us lined up 10 meters apart, we began our survey, walking very slowly in a line and looking for stuff in the grass. Within the first couple of meters, I found quite a bit of brick and glass. I also found some ceramics and one piece of rubber and metal as well. After passing the 50 meter mark or so, I no longer found anything and my fingers were completely frozen. Once we got the end of the 100 meters, we formed a small circle, recapped on our experiences, and counted up all of our findings. We labelled many different bags to keep each different materials separate, and then lined up again to start the next survey. We did two more surveys, but there were no findings from either of those two. The weather cleared up a bit, but it was still very cold and because the fields were not plowed, the visibility was pretty low. After both groups finished up their surveys, we found that group A had discovered much more material than group B. Finally, we headed back to Anderson to debrief on our surveys and return all of the equipment.

On Tuesday, 4/21, for lab, we started out in Anderson again to learn about different site survey techniques. Then we had a group discussion on what we should do for our fieldwork. We had the option of going back and continuing our survey of the field where the farmhouse was, a natural progression from last week’s lab. Or, we could check out the site that the Wednesday group had visited that we speculated could’ve been a quarry. After many points were made, most of the class decided they would rather check out the new site. We took a look at the LiDAR to see if we could find any anomalies, gathered up all our materials, and speed walked out to the location. It was quite the hike through the woods and there were many rusty old cans. Once we arrived, I volunteered to help out with the survey and mapping group to figure out the space we would look out and create a rough image to work off of. The four of us wandered around and looked for important geographical features, including the different elevated tiers and any indications of human intervention, especially on certain slabs of stone. Using our observations, we were able to create a rough map of the location while the rest of the lab group worked on setting up survey grids. Once we finished, we added in the grids onto our map so that the Wednesday group could work off of it. Once everyone completed their tasks, we had a quick debrief where each group explained what they did and what they found out, and we shared the finished map with the whole group so everyone could see the work we had done and the progress we made on setting up the site for surveying. While we were looking around, we found a better path to lead us out of the woods, so we lead the group out that way, although we got a little confused so it was still a bit of a tough hike.